- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 1kg Green Cabbage coarsely chopped (save one leaf before chopping)
- 1 tablespoon Sea Salt
- 800-850g Seasonal Veggies of your choice, such as:
- - Carrot cut into matchsticks
- - Turnip cut into thin semicircles
- - Chinese greens finely cut
- - Small bunch of spring onions finely chopped
- - Apple, Pear or Citrus chopped into small segments
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup Absolute Organic Tamari
- 1-2 tablespoons Miso
- 1/4 - 1 cup Absolute Organic Chilli Powder (depending on preferred spice level)
- Paste Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup Garlic Cloves
- 1/4 cup Onion Wedges
- 1 small knob Ginger
- 1 large Apple or Pear cored and chopped
- Optional: 2 tablespoons Coconut Sugar
- Blend the paste ingredients together until smooth. Stir through the chilli powder and set aside.
- Coarsely chop the cabbage and in a large bowl mix through the sea salt.
- Using your hands, massage the salt into the cabbage, twisting and squeezing to release some juices. Do this every half hour over 1 ½ hours, leaving it to rest in between.
- While cabbage is resting chop your fruit/veggies.
- Once the cabbage is ready, squeeze as much juice out as possible and drain into a cup. Set the cabbage brine aside for later use.
- Mix in the chopped fruit/veggies, tamari and miso to the cabbage.
- WARNING: Before doing the next step make sure you’re wearing disposable gloves! It will prevent the chilli causing sore and tingly fingers. Add the chilli paste to the cabbage mixture and massage everything together thoroughly.
- Compact kimchi tightly into a jar, preventing any air gaps. Leave a gap at the top to allow for expansion during fermentation. If kimchi is not juicy enough add some extra cabbage brine until the vegetables are submerged.
- Place the saved cabbage leaf on top of the kimchi and put the lid on the jar.
- Leave on your kitchen bench and allow to ferment for 2-5 days. Be sure to put a plate underneath the jar to catch any overflow of juices. Once fermented store in your fridge and eat to your heart’s content.
To understand the level of crunchiness of these chips of kale, the...Recipe by absolute |
These Apple Chips are perfect for an evening snack, especially if you...Recipe by Absolute Organic |
This recipe turns out into a deliciously moist and lightly spiced cake,...Recipe by Absolute Organic |